WELCOME TO THE
CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS OF THE
ANCIENT AND HONORABLE
This room is used by the present
Captain Commanding of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery
Company of Massachusetts for meetings with his staff and greeting
guests of the Company. It is the Headquarters of the Company.
This room is the original to Bulfinch's 1805 design of the
building. The dome is internal, just below the cupola and
grasshopper you see outside. Cove lighting around the walls
was put in by Thomas A. Edison in the 1890s. It is the first
such lighting in the United States. At one time there were
several militia units stationed in Faneuil Hall. They all
shared in the use of this room as a conference area. By 1895
the Ancients had the room for themselves.
The pictures on the walls in the room include the Governor
of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (the Commander in Chief
of all mlitary forces in the Commonwealth), the present Captain
Commanding of the Ancients, President George Washington,
Medal of Honor Recipient Major George Maynard of Waltham,
The entrance to the room is via the Stairway
of the Constitution.
VISITORS PLEASE NOTE!: Visitors to the museum are not
to touch anything without express permission by the Curator.